May 31, 2009

How Does "Up" Rank with other Pixar Movies

We just saw the latest Pixar film, "Up." I am amazed at how they consistently produce such compelling stories. There isn't a bad film among the ten that they have created.

I was curious about how my children viewed Up in relation to the other Pixar films, so in traditional Chandler fashion, I overdid it by creating an Excel spreadsheet with all 10 films listed as rows, and each of the kids names as column headers.

Then one-by-one, I had each child rank order the movies (1 being their favorite, 10 being their least favorite). I averaged the scores for each movie and here is the collective Chandler children rank order of the 10 Pixar major motion pictures, with the correct answer (my ranking) in parenthesis and a quick tweetable quote from each to add a little color to the list.
  1. Ratatoulle (2) Welcome to Hell.
  2. Cars (4) I create feelings in others that they themselves don't understand.
  3. Wall-E (6) Computer, define "dancing."
  4. Up (5) You got a "run away in terror" badge?
  5. Toy Story (7) "Extremely dangerous. Keep out of reach of children." Cool!
  6. The Incredibles (1) Hi, this is Kari, sorry for freakin' out but your baby has "special needs."
  7. Monsters, Inc. (9) Kids these days. They just don't get scared like they used to.
  8. Finding Nemo (8) You think you can do these things, but you just can't, Nemo.
  9. A Bug's Life (3) Here, pretend - pretend that that's a seed.
  10. Toy Story 2 (10) Excuse me, ma'am, but I believe you're on the wrong flight.
Being the best at something is all relative to your reference group. In the film Leatherheads, Lexie drives this point home when she humbles Dodge by saying:
You think you're the slickest operator in Duluth, and maybe you are, but being the slickest operator in Duluth is kinda like being the world's tallest midget, if you ask me.
This Pixar reference group is just the opposite. To be the best of this group is a true honor, and to be the shortest of these giants, well that ain't so bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment